The Session met on November 19, 2019, opening with prayer and reading from Psalm 23.
The elders dedicated time to shepherding training and discussion from chapter 1 of The Shepherd Leader by Timothy Whitmer. They discussed needs in the church and prayed for them, spending time considering shepherding lists in small groups. New members were added to elder shepherd lists and member retention and follow-up plans were discussed.
The Session heard reports of the Strategic Commission from a called meeting on October 20, which was a meeting to finalize the proposed 2020 budget; and from a stated meeting on November 7. Action items from the November 7 which were discussed and approved by the entire Session:
- The staff elder and deacon meeting with leadership consultant John Purcell. Staff and elders will be meeting with John Purcell on December 13 and 14.
- A review of financial vision and planning and church by-laws.
- A congregational meeting called for December 8 following the worship service in both congregations for the purpose of presenting the 2020 financial plan and budget, and to hear an update on WPC’s incorporation.
- The sermon series and congregational plan for discipleship in hospitality and outreach for 2020, with a plan for the sermons from January 5th through February and all small group, Sunday school and Bible studies to consider the themes of hospitality and outreach.
- Initial plans for the training of diaconal assistants beginning in January 2020. Those who participate in the training will be invited by the session in the month of December.
Finally, the Session discussed the Women in Ministry Town Hall Meeting on October 23; recording of that meeting will be made available upon request.